Today we’re here to discuss the California disabled parking permit renewal process. What types of CA disabled parking permits are available? Do all types of California parking permits expire? If so, when do they expire? And how do you renew your California handicap parking placard online? Read on for the answers to all these questions and more.
What Types Of Disabled Parking Permits Are Available In California?
All types of California disabled parking permits are issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The California DMV issues the following different types of disabled parking permits:
- Permanent Disabled Parking Placard (Blue)
- Permanent Disabled Parking License Plates
- Temporary Disabled Parking Placard (Red)
- Organization Disabled Parking Permit (for organizations that transport disabled people)
- Disabled Veterans License Plates
- Travel Parking Placard for California Residents (available to CA residents who hold a Permanent Disabled Parking Placard or Plates, or Disabled Veteran Plates, and wish to travel)
- Travel Parking Placard for Nonresidents (available to nonresidents who have a permanent disability and/or Disabled Veteran License Plates and wish to travel in California; valid for up to 90 days)
When Do California Disabled Parking Permits Expire?
- Permanent disabled parking placards expire after two years. They expire on June 30 of every odd-numbered year.
- Temporary disabled parking placards expire after 180 days (six months) or on the date noted by the certifying medical professional on the application (whichever time is shorter).
- Travel Parking Placards for California Residents expire after 30 days.
- Travel Parking Placards for Nonresidents expire after 90 days or on the date noted by the certifying medical professional on the application (whichever time is shorter).
- License plates expire when the vehicle’s registration is up for renewal.
Do All Types Of California Disabled Parking Permits Need To Be Renewed?
Not all types of California disabled parking permits need to be renewed. If you hold a Permanent Disabled Parking Placard, the DMV will automatically mail your new placard and identification card to the address shown in their records before renewal time comes on June 30 of every odd-numbered year.
Temporary permits and license plates do need to be renewed.
Can You Renew A Handicap Placard Online In California?
The CA disabled parking permit renewal process is straightforward and quick. Most of the required steps can be completed online using the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles website and the Dr. Handicap telemedicine app.
How Do You Renew Your California Handicap Parking Placard Online?
How do I renew my disabled parking permit in California? As mentioned, permanent placards are renewed automatically. However, from 2023, every third renewal (every six years) will need to be applied for. Temporary placards can be renewed after six months, up to six times. Each time a temporary placard is renewed, new medical certification is required.
To renew your California disabled parking permit online:
- Arrange a telemedicine consultation with a qualified medical professional on the Dr. Handicap telemedicine app
- Submit a completed application form to the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles either in person at a DMV office or by mailing it to:
PO Box 932345
Sacramento, CA 94232-3450
What Do I Do With An Expired Handicap Placard In California?
You can return your expired handicap placard to the DMV, recycle it, or dispose of it in another safe manner.
What Are The Qualifying Conditions To Renew Your California Handicap Placard Online?
You will qualify to renew your California disabled parking placard online if:
- You have lost the use of both hands or one or both lower extremities.
- You have a disease that impairs or interferes with mobility.
- You are unable to walk without the aid of an assistive device.
- You have visual problems, including lower-vision or partial-sightedness.
What Medical Professionals Can Certify A California Disabled Parking Renewal Application?
The following medical professionals can certify a California handicap placard online renewal application:
- Licensed physician
- Physician assistant
- Nurse practitioner
- Certified nurse-midwife
- Licensed optometrist
- Licensed chiropractor
What Are The California Disabled Parking Rules And Regulations?
California disabled permit holders may park:
- In parking spaces marked with the International Symbol of Access
- Next to a blue curb (authorized for disabled parking)
- Next to a green curb (indicating limited time parking) for unlimited time
- In an on-street metered parking space for free
- In a space that indicates it requires a resident or merchant permit
Permit holders may not park:
- In spaces marked with a crosshatched pattern next to a parking space with the International Symbol of Access
- Next to red curbs (which indicate no stopping, standing, or parking)
- Next to yellow curbs (which are for commercial vehicles to load and unload)
- Next to white curbs (which are for loading and unloading passengers or depositing mail)
Featured image by Nothing Ahead on Pexels