Handicap Parking Permits in Montana

Different types of handicap parking permits are available for disabled residents of Montana. The different types of permits issued by the Montana Motor Vehicle Division include:

  • Permanent placards (valid for three years)
  • Temporary placards (valid for up to six months)
  • Extended temporary placards (valid for up to two years)
  • Disability license plates (valid as long as your vehicle registration is valid)

If you are visiting Montana from another state, you can use the permit from your home state, as long as you follow the handicap parking laws for Montana.



If you’ve been issued a handicap placard in Montana, you must hang it from your rearview mirror when parking in a designated handicap space. It is a violation of handicap parking laws to keep the placard hanging from the mirror when the vehicle is in motion, however.

Using a handicap placard or license plate that hasn’t been issued to you is also illegal and could lead to fines and having the placard confiscated. The only exception is if the disabled person is with you in the passenger seat.

Anyone who sees a non-disabled person parked at a handicap parking sign for cars should report them to local authorities immediately. This type of handicap parking abuse is taken seriously in Montana and violators will be punished appropriately.


Parking Pass Requirements

In order to receive your handicap permit in Montana, you must meet some of the following requirements:

  • Restricted by lung disease that makes breathing difficult
  • Limited mobility due to a neurological, orthopedic or arthritic condition
  • Not able to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest
  • Requires the use of a wheelchair, brace, cane, crutch or other assistive device to walk
  • Needs a portable oxygen tank to help breathe
  • Has a Class III or Class IV cardiac condition, according to the American Heart Association standards


How to Apply

The Montana Motor Vehicle Division makes it as easy as possible for residents to apply for a handicap car decal. You can apply by e-mail, fax or standard mail. The application process involves:

  • Completing the Disability Permit/License Plate Application (Form MV5)
  • Having a medical certification by a licensed physician, chiropractor, or advance practice registered nurse to verify the severity and duration of the disability
  • Paying the applicable fees (license plates require the standard vehicle registration fee; placards are free)

Click here now to start applying for certification for your disability with the aid of a qualified doctor from Montana.


Other Information

Renewing your handicap car decal in Montana requires filling out a new application and going through the same steps of the application process. However, you’ll generally renew your handicap license plate alongside your vehicle registration.

If you happen to lose your handicap permit, or it gets stolen or damaged, you must contact the Montana Motor Vehicle Division to determine the steps on how to get yours replaced.

Disabled residents of Montana are entitled to have handicap parking privileges. If you have a disability and believe you may qualify for a handicap car decal, be sure to contact us. We have licensed physicians in every state ready to evaluate your condition to determine whether you qualify.

Ready to Sign Up?