West Virginia Handicap Placard

Dr Handicap - West Virginia

Residents of West Virginia may be entitled to a disabled parking badge if they have either a temporary or permanent disability. The types of handicap permits offered by the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles include:

  • Temporary placards (valid for up to six months)
  • Permanent placards (valid for up to five years)
  • Disability license plates (valid with your vehicle registration)

Anyone visiting West Virginia can use the placard from their home state, but must obey West Virginian handicap parking laws.



Any issued West Virginia handicap placard must be hung from the rearview mirror when parked in a designated handicap spot and removed when the vehicle is in motion.

You may not loan your disabled parking badge to anyone for their own personal use, even if that person is disabled as well. However, the person issued the placard can be either the driver or the passenger of the vehicle.

Fraudulently filling out the handicap parking application could result in a fine of up to $500. The same fine applies for anyone misusing a designated handicap parking space when they are clearly not disabled.


Parking Pass Requirements

Applicants must meet some specific requirements in order to be eligible for a WV handicap parking permit, including:

  • Requiring the use of a portable oxygen tank
  • Not being able to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest
  • Requiring assistance from a crutch, cane, brace, prosthetic device, wheelchair, another person or other assistive device
  • Having a Class III or Class IV cardiac condition in accordance with the American Heart Association standards
  • Being severely restricted by lung disease
  • Severely limited mobility as a result of a neurological, orthopedic or arthritic condition


How to Apply

You can apply for a West Virginia handicap placard either by mail or at a West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles office. The handicap parking application process involves:

  • Completing the Parking Application for a Mobility Impaired Person (Form DMV-41-TR)
  • Having one of the following medical professionals complete the medical certification section:
    • Licensed physician
    • Advanced nurse practitioner
    • Chiropractor
    • Physician’s Assistant
  • Paying the applicable fees (placards are free; license plates are $5)

Please click here for more information on how to get your online medical certification from a licensed physician in West Virginia.


Other Information

Temporary placards are not eligible for renewal, but you can re-apply by filling out a new application form and obtaining a new medical certification.

Permanent placards can be renewed after the five-year period. You must send in the renewal form you receive via mail, but do not need a new medical certification.

If you believe you may qualify for a West Virginia handicap placard, be sure to contact us as soon as possible. We have licensed physicians in every state ready to evaluate your condition and determine your qualifications.

Ready to Sign Up?