Applying for Handicap Parking Permits in Minnesota

If you’re a resident of Minnesota and have a disability, you may qualify for a handicap sign for your car. The Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services provides several different types of handicap permits to disabled people, including:

  • Handicap placards (temporary, short-term, long-term or permanent)
  • Handicap license plates (standard, specialty or veteran)

If your handicap parking permit application is approved, you can:

  • Park in any metered space for no charge
  • Park in designated handicap parking spaces
  • Park for longer amounts of time in spaces with specific posted time limits



When your vehicle is in motion, your handicap parking placard should never be hanging from your rearview mirror. However, when you are parked in a designated handicap parking space, you must have it either hanging from your rearview mirror or displayed clearly on your dashboard.

Failure to properly display your handicap placard could result in a fine or citation. Alternatively, if you fraudulently filled out your handicap parking permit application, you could be subject to fines, citations or even jail time. Anyone who witnesses potential handicap parking abuse is encouraged to contact local authorities right away.


Parking Pass Requirements

Disabled people applying for a handicap car sign in Minnesota must meet the following requirements:

  • Requires the use of another person or assistive device for walking
  • Cannot walk 200 feet without resting
  • Requires the use of a portable oxygen tank for breathing assistance
  • Loss of a limb
  • Has a level III or IV cardiac condition
  • Inability to walk without a serious risk of falling
  • Has an arterial oxygen tension of less than 60 mm/Hg on room air at rest
  • Is restricted by a respiratory disease

Disabled veterans must also provide a certification of their disability by the Veteran’s Administration to verify the disability was a result of service.


How to Apply

The handicap parking permit application in Minnesota is straightforward, depending on the type of disability you have and what type of permit you need. The application process involves:

  • Submitting a completed Application for Disability Parking Certificate (Form PS2005) for a handicap placard, or the Application for Special Plates (Form PS2010) for handicap license plates
  • Medical certification by a licensed physician, physician’s assistant, advanced practice registered nurse, or chiropractor to verify your disability
  • Applicable fees (temporary and short-term placards are $5; long-term and permanent placards are free; license plates are $16 for two plates or $14.50 for one plate)

If you are applying for a specialty license plate design, additional fees may apply. You can also complete the application process in person or by mail. Click here to apply online with a qualified doctor from Minnesota.


Other Information

Regardless of the type of handicap car sign you have, it will expire at some point. The expiration dates are as follows:

  • License plates are valid as long as your vehicle registration is valid
  • Permanent placards are valid for six years
  • Long-term placards are valid for between one and six years
  • Short-term placards are valid for between seven and twelve months
  • Temporary placards are valid for between one and six months

Permanent placards and plates can be renewed by filling out the renewal notice you receive in the mail prior to the expiration date. You do not need a new medical certification.

For short-term and temporary placards, you may need a new medical certification and go through the entire application process again if your doctor doesn’t extend the disability.

Getting a handicap car sign in Minnesota isn’t difficult if you meet the disability requirements. We have licensed physicians in every state ready to evaluate your disability, so be sure to contact us today.

Ready to Sign Up?