Today we’re here to discuss the process of renewing your Connecticut disabled parking permit. Specifically, we’ll be answering the question: how do you renew your Connecticut handicap parking placard online?
Renewing your permit online makes the CT disabled parking permit renewal process straightforward and quick. But there are several important questions you need to know the answer to in order to renew your permit entirely online, from the comfort of your own home.
Can I renew a handicap placard online in Connecticut? How do I renew my disabled parking permit in Connecticut? Do I need medical certification to renew my Connecticut handicap parking placard online? What are the qualifying conditions for disabled parking in Connecticut? What do I do with an expired handicap placard in Connecticut?
Read on to learn the answers to all these questions and more.
Can You Renew A Handicap Placard Online In Connecticut?
The CT disabled parking permit renewal process is quick and easy. The entire process can be completed online. You simply download an application form (Permanent or Temporary) from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website and then submit the completed application by email.
What Types Of Disabled Parking Permits Are Available In Connecticut?
You can get the following different types of disabled parking permits in Connecticut:
- Permanent disabled parking placard
- Temporary disabled parking placard
- Permanent disabled parking license plate
- Organization disabled parking permit (for organizations that transport disabled people)
- Disabled Veterans license plate (for people who disabilities are military service related)
When Do Connecticut Disabled Parking Permits Expire?
- Permanent Connecticut disabled parking permits expire at the same time as the holder’s driver’s license or identification card, which is usually after four to six years.
- Temporary Connecticut disabled parking permits expire after six months.
Do I Need Medical Certification To Renew My Connecticut Handicap Parking Placard Online?
You need to get new medical certification each time you renew your Connecticut disabled parking permit. This can be done by having a remote consultation with a medical professional at an online telemedicine clinic.
How Do You Renew Your Connecticut Handicap Parking Placard Online?
How do I renew my disabled parking permit in Connecticut?
The Connecticut DMV will send you a renewal notice 45 days before your permanent permit expires. Temporary permits always expire after six months and must be replaced with a brand-new permit, if necessary.
To renew your permit online:
- Have a telemedicine consultation with a state-licensed medical professional at an online telemedicine clinic. The medical professional will fill in the relevant sections of an application form and email it to you.
- Complete all relevant sections of the form, ticking the box for ‘Renewal’.
- Submit the completed application form to the State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also submit your application either by mail to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Disabled Parking Permit Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Or by fax to: 860-263-5556 (only for permanent permit applications)
How Much Does It Cost To Renew My Connecticut Disabled Parking Permit?
- Connecticut Permanent disabled parking permits are free to renew.
- Every Connecticut temporary disabled parking permit is a brand-new permit and costs $5.
What Are The Qualifying Conditions For Disabled Parking In Connecticut?
The qualifying conditions for disabled parking in Connecticut include:
- Portable oxygen tank usage
- Legal blindness
- Limited use, or no use, of one or both legs
- Inability to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest
- Any neuro-muscular dysfunction that severely limits mobility
- A Class III or IV cardiac condition according to American Heart Association standards
- A severe limitation in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition
- Lung disease to such an extent that forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one filter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg of room air at rest
Who Can Certify An Application To Renew A Connecticut Handicap Parking Permit Online?
The following types of medical professionals can verify an application for disabled parking in Connecticut:
- Physician’s Assistant
- Psychiatrist (under contract or employed by the USVA)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
What Do I Do With An Expired Handicap Placard In Connecticut?
You can recycle your disabled parking permit once it expires, or dispose of it in another secure way.
Featured image by Alex Jones on Unsplash