The Iowa disabled parking program exists to improve the lives of disabled Iowa residents and visitors to the Hawkeye State. For the Iowa disabled parking program to run smoothly, it’s important that all disabled permit holders understand and abide by the program’s rules. Knowing when and how to renew your Iowa handicap permit once it expires is crucial.
The IA disabled parking permit renewal process is straightforward and user-friendly. However, permit holders still tend to have a few questions, including… How do I renew my disabled parking permit in Iowa? Can you renew a handicap placard online in Iowa? How do you renew your Iowa handicap parking placard online? And what do I do with an expired handicap placard in Iowa?
Let’s cover everything you need to know about how to renew your Iowa handicap parking placard online.
Can You Renew A Handicap Placard Online In Iowa?
Most of the process of renewing your Iowa disabled parking permit can be completed online. You can carry out a medical consultation and complete an application form online – all you need to do in person or via mail is submit the application form.
What Types Of Handicap Parking Permits Are Available In Iowa?
The following handicap parking permits are available in Iowa:
- Permanent handicap parking placard
- Temporary handicap parking placard
- Permanent handicap parking license plates and stickers
- Provider of Transportation Services placard (for organizations that transport disabled people)
- Disabled Veterans license plates (for people whose disabilities are military service–related)
Do All Types Of Iowa Handicap Parking Permits Need To Be Renewed?
Permanent disabled parking permits do not need to be renewed in Iowa – they have no expiration date. However, temporary permits expire after six months and must be renewed, and disabled license plates must be registered annually.
Who Can Certify An Application To Renew A Handicap Parking Permit Online In Iowa?
Applications to renew an Iowa disabled permit must be certified by a medical professional. The following medical professionals can certify an application for disabled parking in Iowa:
- Physician’s assistant
- Nurse practitioner
The medical professional must be licensed to practice in Iowa or a contiguous state. Qualifying contiguous states are:
- South Dakota
How Do You Renew Your Iowa Handicap Parking Placard Online?
How do I renew my disabled parking permit in Iowa? The process is simple. Just follow these steps:
- Have a consultation with a medical professional at the Dr. Handicap online clinic. The medical professional will write a medical statement for you and email it to you within 24 hours.
- Complete an application form for disabled parking in Iowa.
- Submit the application form and medical statement in person to your local Driver License Examining station, or by mail to:
Office of Vehicle Services
P.O. Box 9278
How Much Does It Cost To Renew My Handicap Parking Permit In Iowa?
- Handicap parking placards are free in Iowa.
- Handicap parking license plates cost the standard vehicle registration fee depending on the type of vehicle being registered.
What Are The Qualifying Conditions For An Iowa Handicap Parking Permit?
To renew your Iowa handicap parking placard online, you will need to be certified as disabled in one or more of the following ways:
- You cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest.
- You cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device.
- You are restricted by lung disease to such an extent that your forced expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg on room air at rest.
- You use portable oxygen.
- You have a cardiac condition to the extent that your functional limitations are classified in severity as class III or class IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association.
- You are severely limited in your ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
What Do I Do With An Expired Handicap Placard In Iowa?
When your Iowa disabled parking placard expires you should return it to a Driver License Examining station, the Iowa Department of Transportation (Office of Vehicle Services, P.O. Box 9278, Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9278), or any law enforcement office within 10 days of its expiration date.
When disabled license plates expire, they should be surrendered to the county treasurer’s office where the vehicle is registered.
Featured image by Austin Goode on Unsplash