Can I Apply For A Disability Placard Online In Any State?
The quickest and most straightforward method of applying for a disability placard is to do it entirely online from the comfort of your own home. It’s now easier than ever to have a telemedicine consultation with a doctor to have your disability certified. But what about submitting your application to the local disabled parking authorities? Can this be done online in any state? Read on for more information on disabled parking and online applications.
Each State Has Its Own Disabled Parking Program
Disabled parking is a federal law. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) stipulates most of the rules and regulations that each state’s disabled parking program must adhere to. While all states adhere to ADA guidelines, each state, and even each jurisdiction within a state, has its own local disabled parking program.
This means that disabled parking rules and protocols can vary depending on where you are in the country. The disability parking permit application process also differs between different jurisdictions. The possibilities for how to submit your application vary state-by-state.
Can I Get A Disability Placard Online?
So, is it possible to apply for a disability placard online? The answer to this depends entirely on where in the country you will be making your application. Unfortunately, most US states do not yet allow online disabled parking permit applications.
In some of the most populous states in the nation – California, New York, Texas, Florida – applications can still only be submitted by mail or in person. But in a growing number of states (for example, Colorado and Connecticut), it is now possible to submit your disabled parking permit application online.
Who Issues Disability Placards Online?
In states that allow online disabled permit applications, you will be submitting your application to the local disabled parking authorities. This will usually be the local Department of Motor Vehicles or its equivalent (for example, the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles).
What Types Of Handicap Permits Are Available Online?
You can apply for the following types of disabled parking permits in every state:
- Permanent disabled parking placard or license plates
- Temporary disabled parking placard
- Organizational disabled parking permit (for organizations and institutions that transport disabled people)
- Disabled Veterans license plate (for people who have a disability that is partly military service-related)
How To Apply For Disability Placards Online
So, how do I apply for a disability placard online? First, you will need to have a telemedicine consultation with a licensed medical professional. This can be arranged through the Dr. Handicap online clinic.
Once your suitability for a disability placard has been verified, the medical professional will complete the relevant sections of a disabled parking application form and email it to you. You will then complete the application and submit it to your local disabled parking authorities, either through their website or by email.
What Medical Conditions Qualify You To Get A Disability Placard Online?
The following medical conditions will qualify you for a disability placard in the majority of states:
- An inability to walk 200 feet without needing to stop to rest
- An inability to walk without the use of or assistance from an assistance device, including a brace, cane, crutch, wheelchair, another person, or a prosthetic device
- Lung disease
- A cardiac condition classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to the American Heart Association
- A severely limited ability to walk because of an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition
- The use of portable oxygen
- A foot disorder that limits or impairs your ability to walk
- Another debilitating condition that, in the opinion of a qualifying physician, limits or impairs your ability to walk
- Visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with correcting lenses
- Visual acuity of more than 20/200 but with a limited field of vision in which the widest diameter of the visual field subtends an angle of 20 degrees or less
Who Can Certify An Online Application For A Disability Placard?
In the majority of states, any one of the following medical professionals can certify an online application for a disability placard:
- Physician’s assistant
- Advanced practice nurse
How Much Does A Disability Placard Cost Online?
The cost of a disability placard that you apply for online varies state by state. Some states provide certain types of disability placards, usually permanent placards, free of charge. In some states you must pay a fee for all types of disabled parking placards. The fee will usually range from $5 to $20.
When Should You Renew Your Disabled Parking Permit Online?
When you will need to renew your permit will depend on which state you live in. In most states, temporary disability placards are valid for six months, then a new temporary permit needs to be obtained.
Permanent placards are typically valid for between three and six years. You will usually or receive an email notification a few months prior to your permanent permit’s expiration date. When renewing a permanent permit, you usually don’t need to get new medical certification.
Disabled Parking Rules And Regulations
Disabled parking permits entitle their holders to park in any designated disabled parking space in:
- Any US state
- Any US overseas territory
- New Zealand
In most jurisdictions, disabled permit holders are entitled to park in metered, time-restricted, on-street parking spaces for free and for extended or unlimited time. Disabled permit holders are not entitled to park in any places that are marked “No parking at any time” or reserved for commercial or emergency vehicles.
It’s always wise to find out the specific disabled parking rules and regulations in the area you live and in any area you plan to visit.